How to listen to your body
When was the last time you noticed how your body was feeling? Not when you’re feeling unwell, stressed or in pain. We are all living very busy high tech low touch lives and go through our days detached from our bodies. Pay attention to what your body is saying. Is it telling you you are stressed and this stress is triggering an health issue? Is it telling you you are tired and need to stop and take time to rest? Pushing through, surviving on little sleep, and multitasking are not helping us at all. Take a few minutes each day to notice your own physicality in this world. Do not judge. Are your legs feeling weak and weary, do shoulders feel strong and confident, is your brain foggy an scattered. What is your body telling you? Take a few minutes during the day to do a body scan. (sit, stand, lay)
- Get comfortable.
- Close eyes or with a soft gaze not focusing on anything.
- Rest for few minutes and notice your natural breathing.
- When you are physically and mentally settled bring awareness to your body. How does it feel supported by the floor, etc.
- Focus your attention on different parts of your body, toes, feet, legs pelvic, abdomen, lower back, upper back, neck, arms, hands fingers, face, head.
- For each part linger and focus on what you notice.
- If your mind wanders bring it back to your body, if you nod off that’s fine too, when you’re ready return to your body. Your body is sending you a lot of information. Listen to it. Care for it.